Boat in harbor

Boat in harbor

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Georgetown, SC - This town speaks to me!!


We traveled 63 miles in 7 hours. We spent two nights here so we could tour the town. We heard it was cute, but I didn't realize just how special it is. 

Georgetown is the third oldest city in South Carolina and the second largest seaport, moving something like 950,000 tons of materials. 

The historic city is four blocks by eight blocks, to this day the streets are named the same and lot numbers are original. Most of the homes are also original. In the 1840's rice was the major crop in Georgetown producing almost half of the total rice in the United States. Georgetown was once a thriving town. Today there is a steel mill in town that keeps Georgetown residents employed, along with tourism as the main industry. Many retirees call this lovely town home with its close proximity to beaches and balmy climate. 

We biked around town (and fell in love!), found a fresh seafood market (yummy swordfish and shrimp), ate fried chicken that was amazing, biked to the grocery store and enjoyed time with our friends.
I never thought I would say I want to live here, but I do!! And I don't feel bad about putting this town in front of Charleston for a possible spot to reside.
We are retired...sounds perfect to me!!!

Found a local watering hole. We learned all about the fire that burned down many buildings along the waterfront in 2013.  
All six of us biked to the local grocery store (Piggly Wiggly),we stood out like a sore thumb. One employee could not understand how we lived on a boat. Everyone is this town is happy and friendly. I don't think they allow crabby people in this town! And I'm great with that!  
Heading home with our spoils! 
Lucky us, there is a fish market located next to the marina! We stopped in twice!
This is where we devoured the amazing fried chicken...Aunny's 
The cute downtown on Front Street. Which is also very dog friendly. Most stores have water bowls out on the sidewalk. Crocket is a water snob, he passed by all of them.

This is my favorite picture of Georgetown...I can see myself living on this street. 

On our self guided bike tour, we found another fish market. Of course we had to stop for more shrimp!  
Jammin Jane docked behind Knot Sew Easy




No comments:

Post a Comment