Boat in harbor

Boat in harbor

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

My captain is falling apart!!!

My poor husband in the hospital
No sooner does Ben start to feel back-to-normal with his back pain, he wakes up early morning dizzy and nauseous. This time it lands him in the hospital.

I woke up at 5:30am and watched him stumble from right to left while trying to make his way to the head (bathroom). We were expecting rain and storms, so I thought maybe the boat was rolling and I was just used to the movement. Only when I finally wake up a couple hours later did I realize how bad he was feeling. He describe his symptoms which was that everything was spinning and he thought he needed to go to a doctor. "OH GOSH! This is serious!! He wants to go to the doctor!!!!" For starters, my husband is the strong, tuff one, always in charge and definitely not the one who needs any help! Well...this time he needs help.
We are in a small town on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, nothing is around us but the marina we are in. I run straight to the marina office. Judy, sees the distress and simply says "Tell me his symptoms." I do and she tells me she will drive us to the hospital (University of Maryland Shore Medical Center Hospital), only 9 miles away. I wanted to hug her at that moment.
We happen to be docked in the farthest slip on the property which means poor Ben has to get himself off the boat and down this LOOOOONNNNNGGG dock. I should remind you that his world is spinning and he can not sit up let alone walk the dock to the car. THANK GOODNESS for our buddy Bob, he helped Ben from our boat to the car. Liz met me at the car with a snack and a Gatorade and off we went.

Ben was extremely nauseous the 12 minutes to the hospital, and was sick a few times during this whole ordeal. Judy got us to the hospital, checked us in and offered us a ride back to our boat later. This strong guy (Ben) spent the next four hours feeling like he was on the "spin cycle" of a washing machine. His only relief was to lay on his left side. After admitting him to the hospital and going through an MRI and CT Scan, Ben checks out all clear of anything relating to a stroke and no inner ear issues. BUT, he does display a case of sinusitis.

His awful experience was diagnosed as a severe case of vertigo. Came out of nowhere and we hope it never comes back. He will carry medication to help with the dizziness if it were to ever happen again.  I am just so blessed that everything worked out the way it did. Ben was not driving the boat at the time this happened. We had our friends with us and they watched Crocket and kept me entertained while Ben spent time in the hospital. This small marina let me use their vehicle so I could be with Ben and finally drive him home from the hospital. I also was able to use the car to grocery shop since we were going to be spending a few extra days in this small town of Chestertown, Maryland, while he recovered.
I am so thankful for all the generous and caring people who came to help us. Another wonderful plus to small town America.

After several days of rest and medication (antibiotic and anti-dizzy) we are back on the water!!

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you had a positive outcome and had so many caring people to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane and Ben, thank goodness all worked out as it did for you three. As soon as I read he only felt better on his left side, I relaxed as I knew where the storupy was going. My Captain has gotten it before and the first time is awful. Google Epley maneuver ... It is a crazy trick, but it WORKS. Watch how to do it an try it before he ever needs to use it. Hoping it never comes back, but it has for my hubby. Glad all is well and enjoy the rest of the Chesapeake Bay. The C&D canal is really fun, the Delaware Bay sucks, but then you have Cape May and the Lobster House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice, we keep hearing about this manueuver. I'm sorry you have had to go through the same as I have. Praying it never happens again. You are not the only one I've heard bad things about the Delaware Bay. Thank you for following along!

      Delete
  3. Jane, We met you at Old Port Cove and then again in Georgetown... Osprey Moon with pooches Nina and Chica.. I've been following your blog (love it!) and of course this post was not a fun one to read. I'm glad things worked out as well as they could have and you are all back to boating and good health. We're back in our home base in CT... if you're stopping in NYC or nearby, let us know. We're always up for a cocktail and would love to hear more about your adventures... and thank you for our marriage savers! You told me about them, your blog convinced Bryan and all are happy :-) Trissie (trissie.rost@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete