Boat in harbor

Boat in harbor

Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Big Crossing

If you look really close you can barely see four of our travel buddies
Weather was a huge factor in our decision to make the 24hour cross of The Gulf of Mexico. The winds were starting to pick up which could make for a lumpy uncomfortable ride, especially for an entire day. So, with the company of 5 other Looper boats we crossed from St. Andrew's/Panama City over to Clearwater to beat the weather!
We left at 10:30am and until dusk we enjoyed a lovely ride. Ben was resting some, we were fishing and enjoying the beautiful day. UNTIL the winds picked up enough that we decided to operate the boat from inside. The plan was to do this for the overnight part so we could sleep on the couch or our beds while the other was at the helm. This just happened a bit early for us. As soon as I got inside, I started to feel a bit nauseous...and that was how I felt until we were a good 2 hours from Clearwater! It was a lumpy ride, with the waves on our bow. Instead of the typical ocean swell we had more of a short, choppy wave like we are used to on the Great Lakes. I survived with the help of my Relief Band and never got sick...thank goodness!
Overall, it wasn't a bad crossing. I'm happy I can say I survived, I never felt scared just angry that I have a weak stomach and THANKFUL for this great opportunity!!!





Crocket did amazing! I fed him breakfast but not dinner or breakfast the next morning. He had some water and treats and just relaxed as best he could. He did not understand why we weren't going to bed so he didn't sleep much. When we got to shore he took the longest pee I've ever witnessed! 
We caught and released a little bonito...fun!! 

beautiful sunset...this is just before the wind picked up
How spoiled are we that we witnessed this gorgeous sunset?!?!
beautiful morning!
We were welcomed by these amazing creatures!!
All snug in our slip for a few days in Clearwater!! WE MADE IT!!
Had to beat feet to the beach...sleep? who needs that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment