Boat in harbor

Boat in harbor

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Grand Banks Rendezvous-Sturgeon Bay, WI

The official burgee for GLGBA
(image taken from www.glgba.org)



The Great Lakes Grand Banks Association (GLGBA) (check them out here)

This marks our fourth year as members of the GLGBA. This club (I'm not sure if this is the right word to describe it) allows anyone to join for a nominal annual fee, and it doesn't matter what type of boat you have (or don't have for that matter). You receive a very informative newsletter a few times a year about all things boating and updates of cruising members. Each year different ports of call through-out the Great Lakes are selected (by elected board members) for the annual rendezvous (usually a 3-4 day event) held over the summer. The rendezvous' are a long weekend with expert led sessions on a number of boating topics (this year was about anchoring), meals are all part of the package with some entertainment and a nice final dinner. 

There is also a winter rendezvous which we have never been able to attend because of the holidays. 

This was not the type of organized group I would have thought to join, this was all Ben's doing. I agreed since I figured I would learn lots, meet some fun cruising friends, and get to see inside each of those Grand Banks (I'm not a peeping tom, but I LOVE seeing what others have done inside for storage and maybe just a tad bit nosey!) It has been interesting to say the least, we may be are the youngest couple in the group but have met some wonderful people over the years and have learned a thing or two as well. What I enjoy about attending the rendezvous' is seeing all the gorgeous Grand Banks (GB) lined up in their slips. We usually end up traveling some of the way with someone in the club and watching these beautiful boats underway is truly magical to me. We all understand the joy of owning these boats and getting together with all these people who share the same love of the GB is pretty cool! So I have to say all-in-all I am pretty glad Ben talked me into joining the GLGBA. After all, I got to hop on a few boats, met some new friends who have completed The Great Loop (lots to learn from them), got some tips about types of printers to have on board, and we were both asked to help out this year...I see more involvement in our future!

This year has by far been my favorite rendezvous. One of my insecurities is anchoring, so having a dedicated two hours on the subject was great!! I loved learning what other members have for anchors and why they chose their specific type. The event was held at Center Point Marina in Sturgeon Bay, which is about a 3-hour run for us.  The marina is gorgeous with a large offering of amenities from laundry, pool, fire place and coffee delivery to the boat (maybe that was because we know the dock master). They really know how to make you feel welcome and kinda special too!


We have a great friend who calls Center Point his home port, so not only were we there to learn somethings, we got to hang out with our friends and go for a luxurious & FAST ride on their Tiara 42 open, "Lady Sam". We are spoiled!  

Check out Center Point Marina here. If you ever find yourselves here, tell Joe and Jane we say hi and thanks for a great time!

Don't ever underestimate joining a group like the GLGBA, (heck, join them here and tell them we sent you)if Ben would have listened to me we would not have met all the great people we have and having a set destination each year to cruise is a great excuse to take a vacation!


Cruising with a GB 36 "Room With A View"

Check out this cool pusher tug we saw on our way to Sturgeon Bay...


Trying my polka!





No comments:

Post a Comment